Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Need a Dinner Idea?

Need a dinner idea?
A healthier take on weeknight-friendly risotto
Risotto traditionally is made with starchy white rice. That starch is essential to producing a creamy, thick risotto. But I wanted a whole-grain version. Trouble is, brown rice doesn't release nearly as much starch during cooking, so substituting it often produces risotto that is thin and uninspiring.

It took me a few attempts, but I eventually figured out how to have my whole grains and my thick and creamy risotto. And it was simple. I just needed to add starch.

Once I had that down, then I needed to add flavor. For this recipe, I came up with two variations, one with Brussels sprouts and apple, another with asparagus and tomatoes. Both are incredibly delicious.
___

CREAMY BROWN RICE RISOTTO TWO WAYS — WITH BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND APPLE OR ASPARAGUS AND TOMATOES

Start to finish: 40 minutes (20 minutes active)

Servings: 4

1 cup short grain brown rice (or brown sushi rice)

2 cups water

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

3 ounces prosciutto, chopped

1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary

1 medium yellow onion, finely diced

1 pound Brussels sprouts, quartered AND 1 firm tart apple, peeled and diced

OR

1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces AND 1/2 cup oil-packed sliced sun-dried tomatoes (drained)

1/2 cup white wine

1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, room temperature

1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Purchased balsamic glaze, to serve

Fore more specific instructions see: http://www.firelandsintraining.com/article/recipes/300161

No comments:

Post a Comment